What in the event that they threw an awards present and nobody cared?
Critically, award present nights are like Twitter household reunions – my timeline is FILLED with acquainted faces commentating concerning the night time’s occasions. That wasn’t the case with tonight’s annual BET Awards. At the least in my nook of the social media universe, curiosity was a lot, a lot decrease than traditional. I’m involved in seeing how the scores shake out.
Should you missed it – and should you’re studying this, I guess you probably did – this yr’s massive draw was a celebration of Mary J. Blige. Plus Cardi B and a few dude dressing up like Woody from Toy Story.
Permit me to fill you in on what you missed, together with sharing 20 questions that went by means of my head:
1. The present opened with Twitter’s Favourite Rapper Cardi B giving a lapdance to her oft-estranged babydaddy Offset. It’s their model of Lemonade – the Nice Worth model. Cardi’s truly a strong performer however Offset? Choreography ain’t your factor, my G. I swear you can see the wires hanging off his shoulders.
2. Host Regina Corridor opened up with a parody of Beyonce’s Homecoming and it was fairly superior, main into, no joke, top-of-the-line performances of the night time. Sardines! And Pork and Beans! EU doin’ da butt! A few of her later DC-themed joked fell tremendous flat (did she actually anticipate Pretend Deep Twitter to know 20-year-old jokes about Marion Barry?) however general she did a positive job as host.
Have you learnt what occasions is #BETAwards pic.twitter.com/K2RZpffqYs
— bfgifs (@bfgifs1) June 24, 2019
three. Lil Child gained the award for Greatest New Artist, slumping throughout stage like his momma yelled at him to get within the kitchen and get them dishes washed. After which so as to add to the confusion, DaBaby – to not be confused with Lil – carried out some terrible track whereas sporting inflatable muscle tissues one other dude in a child costume jumped round stage.
Did hip-hop kick the bucket and I missed the repast?
four. Marsai Martin picked up the Younger Stars Award. She is perhaps a very good actress, however are you able to do me a favor and work in your “shocked” award present face? Cuz this ain’t fooling anyone.
— J Tweets Fck these Niggas up! (@MisterOWL9) June 24, 2019
5. So one of many massive bulletins of the night time was the reveal of BET Plus, BET’s new streaming service. Are y’all prepared to pay a month-to-month charge for Negro Netflix? I swear the “films” queue shall be 400 totally different model of Child Boy.
— Edward Bowser (@etbowser) June 24, 2019
6. Fantasia graced us together with her presence to carry out her new single, “Sufficient.” And guess what? She didn’t yell her approach by means of the music! Meek Mill greater than made up for the shortage of bellowing afterward within the present, although.
7. Sigh, can we speak about these Album of the Yr nominations?
The Carters, Every part is Love
Travis Scott, Astroworld
Meek Mill, Championships
Cardi B, Invasion of Privateness
That’s like making an attempt to find out the most effective Halloween sweet between black licorice, your grandma’s previous purse peppermints, sweet corn, peanut brittle, and no matter these nasty issues are within the black and orange wrapper.
Cardi B wins due to course, despite the fact that she’s in all probability the fourth greatest out of those 5 albums.
However I do know, I’m broke and a hater and no matter. Take pleasure in your sweet corn.
eight. Now, let’s speak TALENT. I do know Lizzo is an acquired style however she didn’t come for video games throughout her wedding ceremony cake topping efficiency of “Fact Hurts,” full with twerking whereas enjoying the flute! Nonetheless haven’t checked out her album? Achieve this proper now.
Nicely, wait until you end studying this. Then go learn that.
VIDEO: @Lizzo performs her single Fact Hurts on the #BETAwards. She has to point out the women what MULTI TALENTED actually means. pic.twitter.com/3BDsGYYrf0
— Opinionated Me (@opinion8dmecom) June 24, 2019
9. Rev. Al Sharpton awarded the absent Snoop Dogg with the Gospel Inspirational Award (sure, you learn that proper) for “Blessing Me Once more.” I’m positive the Petty and Anointed amongst us shall be up in arms about it tomorrow morning. I’m simply questioning – when did Rev. Al begin wanting like Mr. Glass?
10. Ugh, I figured we’d get right here ultimately.
When are y’all gonna wake me up from this “Previous City Street” nightmare and inform me it was all only a misplaced In Dwelling Shade skit?
Critically, I’ve no drawback with the track in principle. It’s a goofball, meme-worthy track, no totally different than “Whoomp (There It Is)” or “My Child Daddy.” What annoys me is that this bizarre insistence from Assume Piece Twitter that Child Nasir DMX has single-handedly revolutionized music by merging rap and nation for the primary time EVER. I imply, for those who began listening to rap in 2015 I assume you would assume that’s true. However these of us with good sense know higher.
Anyway, Billy Ray Cyrus on the BET Awards was a sight however Lil Nastradamus didn’t do a lot apart from stroll in circles on stage. Crowd was going nuts so I’m glad that they had enjoyable.
However I do know, I’m broke and a hater and no matter. Take pleasure in your genuine nation songs.
11. Talking of lame performances, the above was adopted by the Metropolis Women (truly, simply ONE Metropolis Woman) and Lil Child (sure, ANOTHER Child) who ran out of breath the second he stepped on stage. I want I acquired paid to stroll on the stage for 20 seconds and recite an off-beat hook. Is artist improvement not a factor anymore? Cuz these younger’ns need assistance.
12. Issues picked up with the arrival of the Central Park 5 Exonerated 5, leading to a thunderous ovation. Are you able to think about what was going via these brothers’ heads? Justice is just too typically delayed on this nation, however at the least it wasn’t denied this time.
Name them the #ExoneratedFive
— miss kris ??♀️ (@KrisHuston77) June 24, 2019
13. Within the spirit of the second, HER (dressed like Doug Funnie’s sister) debuted her new monitor with YBN Cordae, an extremely stirring monitor that has the makings of a brand new protest track. Nonetheless doubt the expertise of youthful artists? There could be 400 horrible guys named Child operating round right here, however there’s just one HER.
HER is SPEAKING TO YALL ON TONIGHT. Chills ?? #BETAwards #BetAwards2019 pic.twitter.com/X4BAbBhDvh
— JayIntuitive (@JKIRKLANDD) June 24, 2019
14. The Migos carried out … playa, I don’t even know, it feels like each different factor they’ve ever accomplished. They’ve been remaking the identical music for six years and y’all allow them to get away with it?
15. FINALLY, we get to the actual most important occasion of this present, Mary J. Blige’s Lifetime Achievement Award efficiency.
And I’ll be trustworthy – vocally, the efficiency was … simply OK. She sounded particularly winded early on into her set (doubtless from operating round backstage altering garments after her speech). However this wasn’t about pitch-perfect vocals, this was about reminiscing!
See what I did there?
She ran by way of a number of of her largest hits earlier than kicking issues into one other degree with an Uptown Data set. Then the cameos! Lil Kim! Technique Man! I’m leaping round on my sofa, tearing it up like a disrespectful Rick James!
Mary’s ankles are gonna sound like Cap’n Crunch within the morning however who cares – this was nostalgia made flesh.
Mary higher come by way of in all white! #BETAwards pic.twitter.com/HuNmLWuvro
— ??????. (@tdnewyork97) June 24, 2019
And pay attention, I don’t right here NARE NUTHA dialog #onhere about “basic” this and “legend” that till your fave can go on stage, carry out almost 10 hits (with at the least a dozen extra in her again pocket) and tear it up even with their voice happening hiatus.
Mary. Earned. Her. Crown.
16. Meek Mill and DJ Khaled are the epitome of irony: All that autotune yelling and I can’t hear a phrase they’re saying. Playa please. And apparently Meek Mill has a brand new documentary popping out. Y’all nonetheless making an attempt to make him the millennial Nelson Mandela?
17. Tyler Perry acquired the ICON Award on the identical night time he pronounces his new partnership with BET’s new streaming service. A coincidence?
Yeah, yeah, I’m broke and a hater and no matter. Take pleasure in your countless Madea films on the BET streaming app.
Now I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve accolades. And to his credit score, Perry gave a really shifting speech, encouraging entertainers of shade to construct their very own tables as an alternative of ready for invites and to additionally “work such as you’re broke,” which is nice information for me. I’m working BECAUSE I’m broke! I’m on the appropriate path!
18. Kirk Franklin and buddies got here out to carry out his new music “Love Concept” whereas Kirk ran round in what appeared like his church garments from 1987.
Reality: Earlier than Khaled was yelling throughout your data, Kirk Franklin was yelling throughout your data.
Additionally, y’all gotta cease saying I seem like this man. The place is the resemblance?
Shout out to Nicolette Carney for the pic slander. I assume.
19. TI got here out to honor Nipsey Hussle, which included remarks from his household.
Nipsey’s mother’s speech was … um, uncomfortable to say the least. I’m nonetheless unsure WHAT she was speaking about, however who’re we to guage the phrases of a grieving mom?
20. The present wrapped up with considered one of R&B’s greatest voices ever, Johnny Gill, overlaying Frankie Beverly & Maze’s “Earlier than I Let Go.”
Beyonce might by no means.
Thank the lord this present is ov…
WAIT JUST A MINUTE…
Are we not getting an Aretha Franklin tribute!?
The Backside Line: Just like the Grammys earlier this yr, this wasn’t THAT dangerous of a present, it was simply approach too lengthy – there isn’t any want for this factor to hover round 4 hours. Avengers: Endgame this was NOT.
Throw everybody utilizing autotune or named Child within the trash and you may simply shave 90 minutes off this monstrosity and are available away with a way more streamlined presentation. Catch MJB, Lizzo and HER’s performances and Regina’s intro for positive. You didn’t miss a lot else.
However I do know, I do know, I’m broke and a hater and no matter. And when you’re studying this, I’m positive you bought extra sleep than I will tonight, so I assume you’re the actual winner.
(perform(d, s, id) var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s); if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1’; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); (doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));