Anybody excited for this yr’s Grammys?
This yr guarantees at the least somewhat spicy controversy – Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Infantile Gambino all turned down presents to carry out, which means that a host of feminine artists stepped up when the Y chromosomes bailed.
In the meantime, there’s a ton of debate a few sure Woman from the Block doing a tribute to Motown – however extra on that later.
In case you determined to skip the present, right here’s what you missed, together with 20 questions that crossed my thoughts whereas watching:
1. The present opened up with a efficiency of “Havana,” that includes Camila Cabello, a decently dressed Younger Thug for as soon as and, um, Ricky Martin? The Grammy’s massive gimmick this yr is “mashup performances,” which was as thrilling as consuming path combine – it’s all good till a crusty, undesirable raisin winds up in your tongue. The efficiency was aight, just a bit flat.
2. Host Alicia Keys, who judging by her headwrap simply awakened and put a pot of grits on the range, opened us up.
Each black lady on Twitter each time she spoke:
However you wanna know the easiest way to win over a hostile crowd? Deliver Jennifer Lopez, Woman Gaga, Jada Pinkett-Smith and FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA TO THE STAGE. Crowd went particularly insane for Michelle and rightfully so. Acknowledge an actual don whenever you see oneeeee.
Michelle Obama, to a completely captive crowd at The Grammys: “Music helps us share ourselves.” By way of CBS pic.twitter.com/jQTfikBtX5
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) February 11, 2019
three. The winner of the night time’s first huge award: Woman Gaga and Bradley Cooper win Greatest Pop Duo for “Shallow.” Is anybody shocked by this?
four. Why is Cardi B dressed like a flower monster that may struggle the Energy Rangers?
5. Pay attention, I actually like Kacey Musgraves, she’s an outstanding expertise. However wasn’t her supply of “Rainbow” TOO nervous and restrained? It seemed like an excellent highschool expertise present efficiency.
6. CAN WE TALK TALENT? Janelle MyBae hit the stage, making “Make Me Really feel” sound like a robotic masterpiece. Janelle turned the stage into an intergalactic dance social gathering whereas your fave can’t even lip synch convincingly. Shout out to the actual expertise.
.@JanelleMonae performing “Make Me Really feel” makes us really feel all of the feels. #GRAMMYs pic.twitter.com/RLyNeSPYH9
— CBS (@CBS) February 11, 2019
7. So, issues get actually bizarre as Alicia tells a weird story about how she ought to have gained the Grammy in 2004, however when John Mayer gained he felt dangerous and broke the trophy in half to offer her joint custody of the award.
Alicia Keys is like that aunt who tells the identical weirdo tales OVER and OVER each vacation gathering. “Did I inform you once I obtained two luggage of chips out of the merchandising machine at work?” YEAH AUNTIE…
eight. Submit Malone and the Purple Scorching Chill Peppers carried out collectively for no good cause however I’ve a extra essential query: Can somebody PLEASE train these rappers tips on how to carry out reside?
Go watch some previous Busta Rhymes exhibits for inspiration or one thing. They’re out right here wandering across the stage like they’re in search of their misplaced cellular phone. Additionally, shout out to Flea for maintaining his shirt on – that playa is ’bout 60 years previous, we don’t want his nipples in 2019.
9. The tribute to Dolly Parton was superior as a result of she principally sang her personal tribute! I’m unsure who let Katy Perry on stage – seems like her notes have been the One That Acquired Away. And did y’all peep Beck all confused within the viewers? He was listening to Dolly like
10. Not likely Grammy associated however value a observe – WILL SMITH’S GENIE IS BLUE IN THE NEW ALADDIN TRAILER Y’ALL HAPPY NOW?
He nonetheless seems just like the Avatar model of your creepy uncle. “Hey youngblood, let Unc maintain 5 dollas for fuel…”
11. I really like HER, and I really like “Exhausting Place,” however was I the one one barely disenchanted in her efficiency? It wasn’t terrible by any means however she appeared somewhat winded – I’ve undoubtedly heard higher. Fortunately her background singers stored her afloat. And Twitter beloved it, so I assume that counts.
And talking of issues Twitter irrationally loves…
12. Cardi B’s efficiency of “Cash.” The best way my timeline reacted you’d assume that Prince himself descended from heaven on a cloud of Purple Rain and gave y’all ACTUAL cash. Look, I feel Cardi is humorous, empowering and has an incredible rags-to-riches story. As an individual, she’s cool. However y’all gotta admit that her music is mad mediocre on its greatest day.
Do I HAVE to say one thing good about this efficiency? Properly… I favored the costumes.
13. Twitter spent all night time ragging on poor Alicia Keys however even the most important hater (specifically me) needed to be captivated by her dual-piano medley. Additionally, why didn’t she put on this outfit from the beginning as an alternative of her Black Historical past Month Memorial Wavecap?
Alicia, I want that hat once I rock this Darkwing Duck costume in October.
14. I can’t entrance like I knew who Dan + Shay have been earlier than tonight however MAN they’ve my consideration now. Their efficiency of “Tequila” was unimaginable. They awarded Greatest Rap Music to, sigh, Drake, for “God’s Plan.” Earlier within the night time, Infantile Gambino’s “That is America” gained Greatest Track.
Are y’all actually giving out awards for songs based mostly on their music movies going viral? That’s the one rationalization.
BUT THAT AIN’T ALL.
Drake, who surprisingly was in the home to simply accept the award after snubbing a request to carry out, went on a rant concerning the evils of the Grammys, primarily calling the award he simply confirmed up and accepted meaningless: “In the event that they’re singing in your hometown, you’re already profitable, you don’t want this proper right here.”
After which the sound man reduce him off like a drunk driver on New Yr’s Eve. Whoever did that deserves a increase and inventory choices.
Sure they did. God continues to be in a position. https://t.co/82LdsXAzwU
— Edward Bowser (@etbowser) February 11, 2019
15. As soon as once more, a legend took her tribute into her personal arms, with Diana Ross proudly telling the gang that she was rocking the stage on her 75th birthday!
(…she was born in March…)
Eh, 74, 75, who cares – doesn’t she nonetheless seems youthful than 90% of Trump’s employees?
16. Playa, this James Blake, Earth Wind and Hearth and Travis Scott mashup – y’all simply choosing names out of a hat or what? This was the trainiest of wrecks.
At this level we’ll see O-City, Lil Stop and t.A.T.u. on the market subsequent.
17. WHEW BOY. Then this occurred.
So it was introduced a few week in the past (shout out to Bobby Shmurda) that Jennifer Lopez can be performing a tribute to Motown.
As a result of once I consider Motown, I consider the lady who needed to flip to freaking Ashanti for vocal help.
Did you catch @JLo throughout her bombshell #GRAMMYs efficiency?! 😍 pic.twitter.com/Pq1IEPrlcF
— Individuals (@individuals) February 11, 2019
So sure, this Black Historical past Month, J.Lo received to disrespect that Ric Aptitude gown AND hits like “Please Mr. Postman.” The efficiency was nice if all you cared about was choreography however there was a extreme deficit of precise SOUL. Fortunately, my spouse offered readability on this entire weird problem:
Me: What was the purpose of J Lo doing the Motown tribute?
Wifey: They wanted somebody who might dance round and Beyonce wouldn’t do it.
Black ladies are by no means mistaken.
18. At this level we’re virtually THREE HOURS into this present with about 90 extra minutes to go. I do know nobody on this stage has to rise up within the morning however what about the remainder of us with automotive notes and scholar loans?
Each grownup in America is Pusha T.
19. A gang of bizarre wanting dudes that I assume are from My Hero Academia awarded HER with Greatest R&B Album, giving R&B a featured spot on the primary present for the primary time in eternally! It’s the least they might do after giving us Motown Legend J. Lo.
After which, the vastly underrated Chloe X Halle, following a stirring efficiency of “The place is the Love,” named Cardi B’s Invasion of Privateness Greatest Rap Album, making her the primary feminine artist to win that award.
As you’d anticipate Twitter yasssssssssssssssed itself right into a coma. The silver lining for me? No less than that meant Cardi wasn’t profitable Album of the Yr, giving me a sliver of hope that Janelle Monae’s Soiled Pc would get its rightful recognition.
However that is Trump’s America, we ought to be used to disappointment.
20. Yolanda Adams, Fantasia, Andra Day delivered a shifting tribute to Aretha Frankli-BUT WE GOTTA RUSH THEM OFF THE STAGE CUZ IT’S LATE AND WE GOT MORE TROPHIES TO GIVE OUT!
Document of the Yr went to Infantile Gambino’s “That is America” as a result of everybody beloved that video a lot I assume, and Album of the Yr went to …
“Chile, I don’t know what they doin’, both. I do know that valet man betta not had taken any of my good change out of my glove compartment. Mmmm hmmm, Imma rely it, too.”
Are we EVER gonna give Janelle Monae her flowers whereas she will nonetheless odor them?
The Backside Line: I picked on lots of issues on this present since you’ve gotta make your personal leisure when sitting by means of 4 hours of blabbering. However regardless of its gargantuan size, this wasn’t a nasty present in any respect.
It was a transparent indication that the longer term is feminine – if a lady was acting on display and never named J.Lo, it ranged from strong to spectacular.
In fact, the Grammy winners themselves have been typically questionable, however hey, it’s 2019 the place viral vids imply greater than vocals.
Catch a number of of the performances on YouTube tomorrow, then pull a Drake and abruptly reduce off the remaining.
(perform(d, s, id) var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s); if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1’; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); (doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));