In the event you’re a longtime R&B fan, you in all probability pine for the glory days of the 90s, when R&B was dominating mainstream airwaves and we have been blessed with back-to-back classics on an virtually month-to-month foundation. However that momentum slowed by the point we rolled into a brand new millennium.
And for what it’s value, I feel we frequently underrate the good music created in that period. The rise of neo-soul, legends like Mary J. Blige and Mariah Carey reclaiming previous glories, ’90s upstarts like Beyonce and Usher turning into megastars and the arrival of latest trendsetters like Alicia Keys and Ne-Yo crammed the 2000s with many memorable hits.
Right now, we’re wanting again on the 100 greatest.
We’ve already appeared again on the 100 greatest songs of the 1990s – see that record right here.
And like that record, as soon as once more I’m joined by members of the Soul In Stereo Cypher, our official Fb group, to interrupt down our favorites. Becoming a member of us are:
Longtime R&B fanatic Charles Williams, who returns after serving to out with our 90s listing
Former Soul In Stereo contributor and music junkie Desiree Savage
Diane Hawkins, who will throat punch anybody who dares to besmirch the great names of Prince or Luther Vandross
My dude Kyle Ng, senior editor of YouKnowIGotSoul.com and my tormentor on the weekly SoulBack Podcast
And naturally, yours really, the Shao Kahn of SoulinStereo.com, your favourite singer’s least favourite album reviewer
To compile this record, every panelist nominated their 30 favourite songs from the years 2000-2009 (so don’t yell at us for excluding Miguel or H.E.R., they’ll be on the 2010-2019 record, playa). We compiled them into one mega listing, ranked all of them and created the listing under.
And we even created a playlist so that you can take pleasure in all of the songs right here.
(And one word: Sure, this record does embrace songs from R&B’s Voldemort, R. Kelly. That isn’t an endorsement of his character or a dismissal of any allegations towards him. That is merely an unbiased look again on the decade of which his music was an enormous a part of.)
Now, let’s look again at one of the best R&B of the early 21st century.
Simply lacking the reduce:
Raphael Saadiq, “Stay With out You”
Rihanna, “Take a Bow”
Amel Larrieux, “For Actual”
Megan Rochell, “The One You Want”
Rahsaan Patterson, “The One For Me”
Cassie, “Lengthy Method to Go”
Erykah Badu, “Hazard”
Mary J. Blige, “Steal Away”
Musiq Soulchild, “143”
John Legend, “Inexperienced Mild”
- 1 100. Floetry, “Ms. Stress”
- 2 90. Anthony Hamilton, “Charlene”
- 3 80. Goapele, “Nearer”
- 4 70. Fantasia, “Free Your self”
- 5 60. Michael Jackson, “You Rock My World”
- 6 50. Lil Mo, “4Ever”
- 7 40. Floetry, Say Sure
- 8 30. John Legend, “Abnormal Individuals”
- 9 20. Beyonce, “Irreplaceable”
- 10 10. Usher, “U Obtained It Dangerous”
- 11 9. Jagged Edge, “Let’s Get Married”
- 12 eight. Alicia Keys, “If I Ain’t Acquired You”
- 13 7. Aaliyah, “Rock the Boat”
- 14 6. Mary J. Blige, “Be With out You”
- 15 5. Justin Timberlake, “Cry Me a River”
- 16 Four. Ashanti, “Silly”
- 17 three. Beyonce, “Loopy In Love”
- 18 2. Mariah Carey, “We Belong Collectively”
- 19 1. D’Angelo, “Untitled (How Does It Really feel)”
100. Floetry, “Ms. Stress”
Desiree: “My, my annngel, I’d cease breeeathing, for you….if my life was attainable with out……AIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRR!!!!!” Whew! Nuff stated!!!!
99. Bilal, “Typically”
98. Jill Scott, “The Reality Is (I Want You)”
97. Ciara, “Promise”
96. Luther Vandross, “Dance with My Father”
95. Beyonce, “Inexperienced Mild”
94. J. Vacation, “Mattress”
93. Ledisi, “Within the Morning:
92. Lyfe Jennings, “Should Be Good”
91. Ne-Yo, “No one”
90. Anthony Hamilton, “Charlene”
Edd: And y’all say my man Keith Sweat is the grasp of begging for love. Anthony comes for the crown on this one. No one – NO ONE – belts out Southern-drenched soul like Anthony Hamilton, and this bluesy monitor aches with emotion. One pay attention and even you’ll beg Charlene to return again simply to maintain Anthony from falling aside.
89. Anthony Hamilton, “I’m a Mess”
88. Jazmine Sullivan, “Bust Your Home windows”
87. Teedra Moses, “Be Your Woman”
86. Lucy Pearl, “Dance Tonight”
85. Angie Stone, “Want I Didn’t Miss You”
84. Avant, “My First Love”
83. Brian McKnight, “Love of My Life”
82. Amerie, “All I Want”
81. Musiq Soulchild, “TeachMe”
80. Goapele, “Nearer”
Desiree: This joint makes you are feeling so good I caught wind of someone within the media ministry at my church enjoying the instrumental in between providers! Lol!
79. Erykah Badu, “Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)”
78. Musiq Souldchild, “B.U.D.D.Y.”
77. LeToya, “Torn”
76. Mariah Carey, “Shake It Off”
75. Amy Winehouse, “Tears Dry on Their Personal”
74. Lloyd, “Get It Shawty”
73. Case, “Lacking You”
72. Ne-Yo, “Mirror”
71. Subsequent, “Wifey”
70. Fantasia, “Free Your self”
Desiree: Sick and uninterested in being sick and drained … We’ve all been there and we acquired a theme music for it!
69. Ruff Endz, “Somebody to Love You”
68. Joe, “I Wanna Know”
67. Beyonce, “Single Women”
66. Usher, “Throwback”
65. 702, “I Nonetheless Love You”
64. Musiq Soulchild, “Don’t Change”
63. Musiq Soulchild, “HalfCrazy”
62. Janet Jackson, “Doesn’t Actually Matter”
61. Jazmine Sullivan, “Want U Dangerous”
60. Michael Jackson, “You Rock My World”
Charles: Michael Jackson hadn’t launched new music in about six years and other people have been speculating on whether or not his music was going to be any good. Was it going to be value something? Not solely was his first single good, nevertheless it rocked our world. The average dance tempo music is basic Michael together with the acquainted advert libs and feelers with trendy twists making trendy and recent for the time. Seemingly choosing up the place “Clean Felony” left off, the video with Chris Tucker helped to propel the music to the highest of the charts.
59. Musiq Soulchild, “Love”
58. Tamia, “Formally Lacking You”
57. Jill Scott, “A Lengthy Stroll”
56. Tyrese, “How You Gonna Act Like That”
55. Sunshine Anderson, “Heard It All Earlier than”
54. Sade, “By Your Aspect”
53. Dave Hollister, “One Lady Man”
52. Pharrell, “Frontin”
51. Aaliyah, “Attempt Once more”
50. Lil Mo, “4Ever”
Kyle: You must all the time anticipate hearth when Lil’ Mo and Fabolous work collectively. That is no exception as Bryan-Michael Cox hooked them up with a banger they usually delivered. This music has grow to be a staple at many many weddings.
49. Keyshia Cole, “I Keep in mind”
48. Amerie, “1 Factor”
47. Jennifer Hudson, “Highlight”
46. Glenn Lewis, “Don’t You Overlook It”
45. Alicia Keys “Fallin’”
44. Robin Thicke, “Misplaced With out U”
43. Ginuwine, “Variations”
42. Tamia, “Stranger In My Home”
41. R. Kelly, “Ignition (Remix)”
40. Floetry, Say Sure
Edd: In my eyes, that is THE sexiest music of the complete decade. Marsha’s vocals roll off her tongue like … um, what was I saying? Lawd, this music’s obtained it scorching in right here.
39. Carl Thomas, “I Want”
38. Usher, “Confessions Half II”
37. Jagged Edge, “Promise”
36. Ne-Yo, “Attractive Love”
35. Jill Scott, “Golden”
34. Monica, “So Gone”
33. Sade, “Solider of Love”
32. Usher, “Yeah”
31. Toni Braxton, “He Wasn’t Man Sufficient”
30. John Legend, “Abnormal Individuals”
Charles: John Legend proved that even within the 2000s you didn’t want quite a bit to ship successful. Merely a piano, fairly melody, significant lyrics, and a particular voice is all it’s worthwhile to pave the best way to turning into a legend. This was not his first single on his debut, however it’s maybe the one single that’s instantly acknowledged and revered by music followers of all types. With glimpses of Stevie Marvel, this music introduced John Legend as somebody whose expertise is something, however bizarre.
29. R. Kelly, “Step within the Identify of Love”
28. Amy Winehouse, “Rehab”
27. Usher, “U Remind Me”
26. Religion Evans, “I Love You”
25. Mary J. Blige, “Household Affair”
24. Jagged Edge, “Let’s Get Married (Remix)”
23. Ne-Yo, “So Sick”
22. Beyonce, “Me, Myself and I”
21. Maxwell, “Fairly Wings”
20. Beyonce, “Irreplaceable”
Diane: It’s extraordinarily onerous not consider the phrase “irreplaceable” with out unconsciously singing “to the left, to the left.” This mid-tempo music of independence might arguably be a millennial’s model of Gloria Gaynor’s 1978 mega-anthem “I Will Survive.” Beyonce’s music (written by hitmaker Ne-Yo) serves up the story of a lady fed up together with her man’s infidelity together with a big aspect of empowerment. “Irreplaceable” is unforgettable.
19. Michael Jackson, “Butterflies”
18. Erykah Badu, “Bag Woman”
17. Chris Brown, “Yo (Excuse Me Miss)”
16. Alicia Keys, “You Don’t Know My Identify”
15. Mario, “Let Me Love You”
14. Usher, “U Don’t Should Name”
13. Brandy, “Full Moon”
12. Janet Jackson, “All for You”
11. Amerie, “Why Don’t We Fall In Love”
10. Usher, “U Obtained It Dangerous”
Kyle: Usher was already unstoppable by the point this single dropped. He already had primary data earlier than this music got here out, however most of them have been enjoyable singles. “U Received It Dangerous” confirmed one other aspect to Usher and proved that he was additionally one of many prime vocalists in R&B.
9. Jagged Edge, “Let’s Get Married”
Desiree: Aspect eye however for that “we ain’t getting no youthful” line, this minimize brings forth a ardour that legit makes you wanna get married!
eight. Alicia Keys, “If I Ain’t Acquired You”
Diane: Alicia Keys’ single opens with an exquisite, soothing piano solo that spotlights her musical brilliance and builds as much as an emotional plea for love and a eager for happiness. It’s no marvel why this passionate ballad was nominated for a Grammy within the Track of the Yr class. (Keys gained for Greatest R&B Efficiency.) The classically educated pianist’s ballad is harking back to the legendary Motown sound that serenades R&B music lovers.
7. Aaliyah, “Rock the Boat”
Diane: Regardless that Aaliyah had earlier hits akin to “Again and Forth,” “Age Ain’t Nothing However a Quantity” and “Four-Web page Letter,” her 2001 track “Rock the Boat” showcased a extra mature, mellow groove that also appealed to her followers. This sensual single was amongst Aaliyah’s greatest work enhanced with a lush video of the Bahamas’ sunshine and signature fascinating choreography. Sadly, it may be exhausting for some to take heed to this Grammy-nominated single with out occupied with the younger songstress’ rise to superstardom that was tragically minimize brief.
6. Mary J. Blige, “Be With out You”
Charles: One other decade of hits listing and Mary J. Blige seems once more! Endurance describes Mary and this music is a superb instance of that. She had been by means of rather a lot and had come out of the storm prepared to like … herself and another person. She professes her love for a person and that she will’t stay with him. With an ideal mix of hip hop and R&B, her coronary heart felt career turned her largest hit up to now and made her a Grammy darling in 2007.
5. Justin Timberlake, “Cry Me a River”
Edd: To this present day, I keep in mind precisely the place I used to be once I first heard this track – I used to be driving throughout a pitch black night time in 2002 on my strategy to get dinner throughout a piece shift. When these haunting chants began up, I perked up. And when that beat dropped, it was throughout. I used to be immediately a Justin Timberlake fan. Previous to this music, I had seen JT as a gifted however kinda bland pop star. However I turned a believer that frigid fall night time, because of the magic of Timbaland’s manufacturing.
Four. Ashanti, “Silly”
Kyle: After dominating the charts together with her catchy hooks on songs for Ja Rule and Fats Joe, Ashanti made her mark as a solo artist and have become a family identify with this document. The DeBarge pattern blended completely together with her candy vocals.
three. Beyonce, “Loopy In Love”
Diane: “Loopy In Love” was the monster hit that gave Beyonce’s solo profession even longer legs, arms and, in fact, hips. The infectious, high-energy music was paired with an equally Sasha Fierce video that exposed the plain chemistry between Queen Bee and Jay Z. I dare anybody to play this track with out making an attempt to repeat Beyonce’s bootylicious strikes. You’ll burn a minimum of 350 energy in three minutes. You prepared?
2. Mariah Carey, “We Belong Collectively”
Kyle: Most individuals have been prepared to put in writing off Mariah Carey by 2004 resulting from her earlier two albums, however this document erased all doubts about her as a hitmaker. This Jermaine Dupri produced document ended up being the most important music of the last decade in music and introduced her again to superstardom.
1. D’Angelo, “Untitled (How Does It Really feel)”
Charles: What do you get when D’Angelo and Raphael Saadiq collaborate? A bonafide hit! From the very first word this track captivates with D’Angelo’s clean falsetto alternating together with his extra commanding pure voice over maybe probably the most seductive monitor ever. Produced by Saadiq, this music is nothing in need of good leaving you feeling some sort of means on the finish. This track, and naturally video secured D’s spot as a quintessential intercourse image. A music so good, it wants no title.
Take heed to a playlist of the highest 100 songs … er, 98 songs (sorry, Aaliyah) on Spotify under:
(perform(d, s, id) var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s); if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1’; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); (doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));